Skip to main content

S L E E P !!

Wow!  What a week.  We have actually slept, with unbroken sleep, for most of the week, thanks to the time controlled crying technique care of Supernanny!  If you haven't read my pages on this and are interested (yes, this is interesting to me now - how things have changed!), check them out - there are 3 in total and summarise what we did and our progress, so have a read.

OK it may not have stopped my inability to do 2 things as once, as per last post, but I see that as a genetic mishap - not sleep-related!  I've always been that way!

The sleep thing is on the brink of miraculous.  I've even been watching past videos of Baby A this week and I couldn't help remembering how completely shattered I felt when they were taken.  I think you just plod on through the fatigue because you don't think there is an alternative, so you just put up with it and console yourself that this what being a parent is like.  BUT IT ISN'T!

I am amazed not only by how easily Baby A took to this more structured routine, but also how we as a family did too.   I never thought I would be a Mummy who favoured 'structure' as I always associated that with regimented routines where children should be seen and not heard - and basically a really dull life where fun was not included.

Perhaps I've watched too many old movies!  That is certainly not how we have experienced this.  Both Mr Big and I are actually ENJOYING OUR EVENINGS again!  Did I say that clearly enough?!  WE HAVE OUR EVENINGS BACK!  WOOOOO HOOOOO!  This has done unimagineable goodness for our relationship - as we are not like 'ships passing in the night' anymore - we actually have uninterrupted time every night to spend together as a couple.  And it's MAGIC :)

Baby A is also such a happier child.  Don't get me wrong - she has always been pretty placid and content, but she did used to be crabby as a result of not sleeping properly at night.  But now, she sleeps properly at night and in the day - and has a routine she is used to, so she knows where she stands and what is coming next.  And she just seems generally happier.

I think we all are.  So far, so AMAZINGLY good.  I wish I had tried this MONTHS ago!

As long as the crying is time-controlled in the way Jo Frost suggests, I am an advocate.  This has been BRILLIANT for us and made such a huge difference to our lives.  And the magic of sleep started to happen within only a couple of days.  W O W!

My Mum even said I was like 'the old me' when she popped over this week.  I am taking that to be a compliment - as in I am happier within myself etc - as opposed to just being an old version of me, which is probably also true, but we won't dwell on that point!

xx

Comments

  1. Well Done, you have worked really hard and been well rewarded.
    What are you going to do with the extra time?!
    What is Baby A going to do with all that extra energy?!
    xx cath

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Honey :) It was not as bad as I was fearing, but it is tough getting 'psyched' and ready. Thank you for your support, as ever! xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wondermum Makes - Tegenarium - Spider House!

My Mum isn't a lover of spiders and unfortunately she passed this fear unwittingly onto Roar when he was small. She didn't want him to stay afraid and so one Christmas, she bought him a Spider House Kit.  Between us we hoped he would learn about them and watch one and see they spend a lot of their time motionless and aren't really that scary. Don't get me wrong, I don't love it when a spider scuttles too close, but it's usually the shock of something scuttling into view that's more 'scary' than the spider itself.  Well, that's what I tell myself anyway!  We have no poisonous spiders to worry about so there really isn't anything to fear (although I know that isn't the same everywhere). We've had this Spider House Kit tucked away in a box for at least a couple of years as Roar was initially not keen.  However, in Lockdown all  the 'kits' are coming out and so has this one and, what's more, he's LOVED IT! He has l...

Wondermum Makes - No-Spider Tegenarium / Spiderless Spider House!

Further to my recent post, I realise not everyone loves spiders and not everyone knows where to find them or is sure if their spiders are safe.  And, as we also have a toddler in our house, we needed a 'Cub Safe' version to ensure no real spiders are harmed by an excited toddler shaking their spider-house! So we decided to make a pretend spider so Cub could also be included :) To make the actual spider house, see my other post - this is just to make the fake spiders! Things You Will Need Our list included single and double-sided tape, curling ribbon, scissors, paper, black pen and optional googly-eyes :) But if you don't have all of the above, you could use glue instead of tape or double-back on itself some single sided tape to make it double-side.  Curling ribbon could be string/cotton/wool etc. Your spider can be any colour so any colour paper will do or colour some in.  You could even use newspaper!  And if you don't have googly-eyes, you can m...

Writing - Breathing for the Soul - Our Shared Superpower

Since I've started writing again, I've come to the conclusion that for me, writing really is like breathing for my soul. The sense of calm and relief I feel and possess when I write is transformative compared to when I don't. I'm happier.  In all things.  All of the time.  It's like having a superpower that transcends all aspects of my life. Taking the time to write is in itself taking time to treat myself with a kindness I would usually only reserve for others. Like a soul-spa.  It cleanses and renews. It enables me to cut through the top 'chaos-layer' and reveal what sits underneath.  It's a way to cut out the noise and focus in on what's really true and what really matters. I get perspective too.  So if things are troubling or emotive, writing gives me the opportunity to 'talk it out' on the page and make sense of it all.  I am always clear by the time I'm done.  I know why I feel the way I do and what action I need to take...