Skip to main content

Wondermum Makes - No-Spider Tegenarium / Spiderless Spider House!

Further to my recent post, I realise not everyone loves spiders and not everyone knows where to find them or is sure if their spiders are safe.  And, as we also have a toddler in our house, we needed a 'Cub Safe' version to ensure no real spiders are harmed by an excited toddler shaking their spider-house!

So we decided to make a pretend spider so Cub could also be included :)


To make the actual spider house, see my other post - this is just to make the fake spiders!

Things You Will Need


Our list included single and double-sided tape, curling ribbon, scissors, paper, black pen and optional googly-eyes :)

But if you don't have all of the above, you could use glue instead of tape or double-back on itself some single sided tape to make it double-side.  Curling ribbon could be string/cotton/wool etc. Your spider can be any colour so any colour paper will do or colour some in.  You could even use newspaper!  And if you don't have googly-eyes, you can make them with white paper and a black pen or whatever colours you have or choose!


Method

Step 1


Cut out a circle from your paper and cut 4 x long strips - at least twice the size of the circle.

Note: this can be as big or small as you want - this is using a post-it that's only about 1.5cm wide and 5cm long in total!

Step 2


Cut out a small piece of double-sided tape and stick to the reverse of the circle as shown.  Once on there, remove the film so the sticky side of the tape is ready to stick to and then add the long strips as the 'legs', as below.


Step 3


Next, cut a small piece of tape and have this ready nearby.  Then, still with the 'legs side' facing you, place the end of the curling ribbon almost central and stick it in place with the small piece of tape. 

Step 4


Now turn your spider over and stick on his googly eyes (or make and stick on his eyes if you are making them) and if you choose, draw on a little smile (or anything - you could put teeth if you prefer!)

Step 5


Your spider can of course live anywhere so feel free to be creative.  Perhaps you could make a 'fake web' and stick them there or have lots fake spiders living on a branch etc.  There are so many things you could do with this :)



For now, we have made two - Geoffrey and Horace, so I'm told!  And Cub put all the items in the bottle to make their spider home - but these ones he can shake!

WM x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wondermum Makes - Tegenarium - Spider House!

My Mum isn't a lover of spiders and unfortunately she passed this fear unwittingly onto Roar when he was small. She didn't want him to stay afraid and so one Christmas, she bought him a Spider House Kit.  Between us we hoped he would learn about them and watch one and see they spend a lot of their time motionless and aren't really that scary. Don't get me wrong, I don't love it when a spider scuttles too close, but it's usually the shock of something scuttling into view that's more 'scary' than the spider itself.  Well, that's what I tell myself anyway!  We have no poisonous spiders to worry about so there really isn't anything to fear (although I know that isn't the same everywhere). We've had this Spider House Kit tucked away in a box for at least a couple of years as Roar was initially not keen.  However, in Lockdown all  the 'kits' are coming out and so has this one and, what's more, he's LOVED IT! He has l...

Writing - Breathing for the Soul - Our Shared Superpower

Since I've started writing again, I've come to the conclusion that for me, writing really is like breathing for my soul. The sense of calm and relief I feel and possess when I write is transformative compared to when I don't. I'm happier.  In all things.  All of the time.  It's like having a superpower that transcends all aspects of my life. Taking the time to write is in itself taking time to treat myself with a kindness I would usually only reserve for others. Like a soul-spa.  It cleanses and renews. It enables me to cut through the top 'chaos-layer' and reveal what sits underneath.  It's a way to cut out the noise and focus in on what's really true and what really matters. I get perspective too.  So if things are troubling or emotive, writing gives me the opportunity to 'talk it out' on the page and make sense of it all.  I am always clear by the time I'm done.  I know why I feel the way I do and what action I need to take...